SoVT Get on Board
Want to know how to make things happen in your town? Want to be more involved in your community? Are you already involved but want to know more about how things work?
This program will give you practical skills to become an effective and active participant in the civic life of your Southern Vermont community. Gain big-picture knowledge to inspire and inform, and most importantly, find connections to support you.
Course will be led by statewide and local experts with the region-specific knowledge and experience to help you turn ideas into action.
October 2023 - January 2024
dates subject to final confirmation
$150; scholarships are available as part of application;
town sponsorships may also be available -- indicate interest in your application.
Unit 1: Civic Capital
- What is civic capital and how do communities develop it?
- What are the ways people serve their communities on local boards and in government?
Wednesday, 10/11, 6:00pm - 7:15pm (virtual)
Saturday, 10/21, 10:00am - 3:00pm (location: Townshend Town Hall) - lunch provided
Unit 3: Working Together as a Community
- Community project stewardship
- Fostering community dialogue
- Roles and responsibilities of a nonprofit board
Wednesday, 11/15, 6:00pm - 7:15pm (virtual)
Saturday, 12/2, 10:00am - 3:00pm (Location: Wilmington, Old School Community Center) - lunch provided
- One-on-one follow-up
- Personalized introductions to projects and leaders in your town
Unit 2: Local Government in Vermont
- Everything you wanted to know about Vermont’s local government (but were afraid to ask)
- Equity & inclusion in local government
Saturday, 11/4, 10:00am - 3:00pm (Location TBD in Manchester, VT) - lunch provided
Unit 4: Taking Action
- Making a plan from what you've learned
- Forming partnerships for action
- Celebration and networking with local leaders
Wednesday, 12/13, 6:00pm - 7:15pm (virtual) (time subject to change depending on class preferences)
Saturday, 1/6, 10:00am - 1:00pm (location TBD) - lunch provided